Much time has passed since the Musical Year of Our Lord, 2012, has ended. I hope you enjoy my look back at the year that was.
Feel free to criticize at will, and please share your own selections!
THE LUCKY 13: REAL PLEASURES AND UTTER OBSESSIONS – 2012
- ATOM™: Winterreise (CD, Raster-Noton)
- BLACK SWAN: Heaven (CD, Ethereal Symphony)
- DEEPCHORD: Sommer (CD, Soma)
- EMPTYSET: Medium (12″, Subtext)
- BURNT FRIEDMAN: Zokuhen (2LP, Nonplace)
- HOLLY HERNDON: Movement (LP, RVNG Intl.)
- THOMAS KÖNER: Novaya Zemlya (CD, Touch)
- LEGO FEET: Lego Feet (Reissue, 2LP, Skam)
- JON MUELLER/JASON PLOTKIN: Terminal Velocity (2LP, Taiga)
- PORTER RICKS: Biokinetics (Reissue, 2LP, Type)
- PETER PRAUTZSCH: Schwere See (CD, Palacmusic/Neo Ouija)
- LANA DEL REY: Born to Die (CD, Interscope)
- SHACKLETON: Music for the Quiet Hour/The Drawbar Organ EPs (2LP/CD, Woe to the Septic Heart!)
NEED MORE TIME – 2012
- FLYING LOTUS: Until the Quiet Comes (CD, Warp)
- HILDUR GUÐNADÓTTIR: Leyfdu Ljosinu (CD, Touch)
- ROBERT HAMPSON: Signaux (LP, Editions Mego)
DISAPPOINTING DISAPPOINTMENTS – 2012
- DEAD CAN DANCE: Anastasis (2LP, PIAS)
- MEAT BEAT MANIFESTO: Test EP (CD/DVD, Flexidisc)
- ANDY STOTT: Luxury Problems (CD, Modern Love)
Thank you for listening!
Ladies and gentlemen, I am happy to finally announce my choice selections and utter disasters for the Musical Year of Our Lord, 2011!
Feel free to criticize at will, and don’t be shy to share your own selections! =)
REAL PLEASURES AND UTTER OBSESSIONS – 2011
ALVA NOTO: Univrs (2LP; raster-noton)
BJNILSEN/STILLUPPSTEYPA: Big Shadow Montana (LP, Helen Scarsdale Agency)
BYETONE: SyMeta (LP, raster-noton)
THE CARETAKER: An Empty Bliss Beyond This World (LP, History Always Favours the Winners)
CLAMS CASINO: Instrumentals (MP3 Mixtape, Self-released)
DEAF CENTER: Owl Splinters (LP w/CD, Type)
FENNESZ: Seven Stars (10″ EP, Touch)
FOVEA HEX: Here Is Where We Used To Sing (CD, Janet Records)
BURNT FRIEDMAN & JAKI LIEBEZEIT: Secret Rhythms 4 (CD, nonplace)
GESCOM: Skull Snap (12″ EP, Skam)
KAMMERFLIMMER KOLLEKTIEF: Teufelskamin (LP, Staubgold)
LEYLAND KIRBY: Intrigue & Stuff Vol. 1, 2 & 3 (LP, History Always Favours the Winners)
LEYLAND KIRBY: Eager To Tear Apart the Stars (LP, History Always Favours the Winners)
PINCH & SHACKLETON: Pinch & Shackleton (2LP, Honest Jon’s)
CHRIS WATSON: El Tren Fantasma (CD, Touch)
NEED MORE TIME – 2011
ATOM™: Winterreise (PlayButton)
ELEH: Floating Frequencies/Intuitive Synthesis (3CD, Important)
JON MUELLER: Alphabet of Movements (LP, Type)
ANDY STOTT: Passed Me By/We Stay Together (2CD, Modern Love)
DISAPPOINTING DISAPPOINTMENTS – 2011
THE ART OF NOISE: Into Battle With The Art Of Noise (Reissue, 2LP, ZTT)
SUSSAN DEYHIM: City of Leaves (CD, Venus Rising)
ROLL THE DICE: In Dust (LP, Leaf)
WIRE: Red Barked Tree (LP, Pinkflag)
Thank you for listening!
Shackleton vs. Kasai Allstars: Mukuba Special / Burnt Friedman vs. Konono N° 1: Rubaczech | Congotronics | 2010
Extreme and vital, both of these remixes add to the allure that first brought ‘Congotronics’ to my ears. Shackleton works his dark take on the Kasai Allstars to hypnotic levels, and never lets us go. Burnt Friedman’s staccato drum hits propel his remix to work as well on the dance floor as it does in the living room. Both remixes layer the the percussive elements on strong, with Shackleton taking things up a notch with his vocal treatments as well. A perfect pairing, on both counts.
45 RPM 12″ vinyl reviewed.